Customisations to System = Increased Maintenance

A forum to post features you wish UNIT-e had in the hope they may be added in future

Vote for this?

No votes
Total votes: 3

Site Admin
Forename: Robin
Surname: Wilson
College Name: FEA
Position: MIS Consultant
LinkedIn Profile:

Customisations to System = Increased Maintenance

Post by robinwilson16 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:00 pm

It seems UNIT-e's main USP lies in its customisation and this can sometimes be why certain screens can be quite minimal.

However if you customise a part of the system, when you upgrade UNIT-e to the latest version your changes are usually overwritten and set back to the factory default even when there are no apparent changes with this part of the system in the upgrade.

So you can either:
  • Re-do all your changes after an upgrade
  • Lock parts of the system so they retain your changes but are skipped when upgrading meaning they do not pick up any updates
It would seem the more you customise the system, the more you are increasing the maintenance cost/burden with re-doing customisations or comparing new default screens to see if anything is missing in the customised one.

How do people get around this issue?

I am familiar with other systems where you inherit the base page and any customisations are maintained separately so when the page is updated due to upgrades, any new updates are applied but existing customisations are also maintained. My wish would be for UNIT-e to work this way otherwise I feel I would need a team of people to re-configure the system post upgrade and this is holding us back on putting more work into our customisation efforts.

Forename: Simeon Talmage
Surname: Baker
College Name: Lambeth College
Position: Report Writer
LinkedIn Profile: ... r-83345497

Re: Customisations to System = Increased Maintenance

Post by simeon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:09 am

I agree,

If customisations were tracked and logged then after an upgrade they could be easily reapplied-

I'd suggest a notification could be set where a customisation overwrites part of the upgrade, giving the user the option to choose which they keep.